Tuesday, October 23, 2012

VooDoo Doughnuts

 On the way home from our Alaskan Quilting Cruise we stopped in downtown Portland, OR for some VooDoo Doughnuts.  This is place is quite famous for all manner of oddly flavored, somewhat risque and innovative doughnuts.
 It's an experience!  Here's a partial look inside our box (we'd already eaten some).  There is one with fruit loops (Loopy), Oreo cookies & peanut butter (Dirt), one with rainbow jello powder, and the one I chose, Bacon Maple Bar.


 Here's a close-up.  I'm not a huge fan of doughnuts.  I don't go out of my way to stop at doughnut shops, and I think my favorites are French Crullers...they are light and airy.  If I'm out and there is a plate of doughnuts, I'll probably have one...or half of one.  I've eaten my share of maple bars before.  This maple bar was fresh, light and the icing was properly maple flavored.  The bacon strips were quite thick.  They tasted like bacon.  I like bacon but also, I don't go out of my way to eat it.  I've probably bought 5 lbs. of bacon in my 40 years of marriage.  Mr. Scottie Dog isn't a bacon kind of guy.
 I'm sure if you are a doughnut-loving, bacon-loving person you would LOVE this doughnut.  I have to admit for this ho-hum doughnut & ho-hum bacon eating person it was good (with a lower case g).  The experience to me was much more fun than the doughnut.  BUT the doughnut-loving people I was with LOVED it.  And I loved being with my peeps. If you want an experience...don't miss VooDoo Doughnuts in Portland, OR.

1 comment:

Bevh said...

There's one in Eugene too. I'm a maple bar purist...can't quite go for the bacon with it. but the doughnuts are fun for once in awhile.