Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day Dinner

It was Father's Day today. Bill and I had gone to church, out to brunch and for a long drive. Even with gas prices at $4.79/gallon in our neck of the woods, it was nice to just drive. We tried a rural road we'd not been on for many years. We drove across one of Humboldt County's wooden covered bridge on Berta Road and off to thick redwood forest, ferns and beauty. We made a big loop and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

Back at home Bill puttered in the garden and I did
some much needed cleaning of the house. Bill and my son-in-law Steve had put forth their ideas of Father's Day Dinner so I got it all ready. Liz was bringing dessert. I made the guacamole.....it's nice that here in California we get great avocados nearly all year long. I put chopped tomato in my guacamole along with Kosher salt, pepper, lemon juice and a touch of mayo. We had a great salad with mandarin oranges in it....I think Sydney ate all of them right out of the salad bowl. After all, it was Grandma's house! They boys got their prawns & steaks---Bill is the master of the grill.


Liz made dessert....Peanut Butter Hearts. I just had to take a picture. Here's the recipe:

Peanut Butter Hearts
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup butter or margarine
Mix ingredients and press into an un-greased 9" X 13" pan.
Melt 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 4 Tablespoons peanut butter and spread on top. Refrigerate for 1 hour, cut with cookie cutter into hearts.





As you can see, Sydney liked them. They are like heart shaped Peanut Butter Cups. Yum, yum!

3 comments:

Beka and Jason Haché said...

yum! I think I will definitely have to make those for Jason!

Anonymous said...

I have to say, these are even better the next day. How do I know this? I just had one for breakfast. I have to get these out of the house quickly!

Carol E. said...

Thanks for the recipe! Yum! (said in anticipation)