Friday, April 4, 2008

Laura's Beautiful Blue Machine


My good friend Laura and her husband are missionaries with YWAM (pronounced "Y-WAM") and live part time in India and part time here in Humboldt County. I don't get to see her often enough even when she is here. But we have the kind of friendship that picks right up where we left off even if we haven't spoken for 6 months or a year. I like that. Laura is a comfortable friend. We are kindred spirits.

Laura just sent me an email and picture of her lovely new sewing machine she got in India. I'm quite jealous of it's beautiful blue color. The gold trim is exquisite! It only sews a straight stitch, but that's really all you need, isn't it? When I met Laura years ago (I don't want to even think how many years ago!) she said, "Would you like to see my Grandma's quilts?" Oh--could Laura's Grandma quilt! Laura made quilts just like Grandma. All by hand! She churned out Grandma's Flower Gardens and never even marked the seams for hand sewing. Beautiful quilts.
Then Laura and her mom took beginning quilting lessons from me. Now she churns out lovely quilts by machine. Thanks Laura, for being my friend.
P.S. You can learn more about YWAM at www.ywam.com