Thursday, April 19, 2012

Poetry

 As you must know I turned 60 in January.  What a shock to change the decade with the changing of the year!  In any event, I celebrated over a 6 week period and  it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.  I like the discounts I am now afforded and I don't really look any differently than I did in my 50's (just a few months ago!).

My daughters threw me a marvelous surprise party and for the first time in many years I had many gifts to open. I want to tell you about one of them today.  I have always loved poetry.  I don't know a lot about poetry, but I love the cadence, the metaphoric language, the imagery of poetry.  I especially love to read poetry out loud.  My friend Jen gave me this lovely book by Judith Viorst, Suddenly Sixty and Other Shocks of Later Life.

I'm going to copy here one of my favorite poems from the book and I am hoping you will read it out loud....it speaks to my soul and makes me cry every single time I read it.



The Blissful Couple

They laugh together.
Read Together.
Dance together.
Paint together.
Listen to music together.
Walk, holding hands, 
Together.

They love exchanging
Warm
Wet
Mushy
Kisses.

He rushes to greet her, 
His arms outstretched,
Joyfully calling her name, 
When he sees her arrive.

Who, you are wondering,
Is this blissful couple?
She is his grandma.
He is almost five.


Thankyou Judith Viorst for such a lovely poem.  It speaks to my soul.





2 comments:

jen duncan said...

It still makes me cry every time, too! :-) So glad I was correct in gifting it to you.

Carol E. said...

Beautiful.