Saturday, November 26, 2011

Make and Takes and more

First, I'll take a step back before I show you the Make and Takes from Redwood Sewing Center. Last week our good friend, Karen Snyder of Anna Lena's came to visit. Karen likes all things 30's....as in Vintage 1930's fabrics. And butterflies and orange and aqua and....well, Karen is just fantastic. We have known each other for about 11 years, met at a Trade Show for Quilt Shop Owners and belong to a sort of secret sisterhood of quilt shop owners. A bunch of us went on a cruise to Eastern Mexico and she and I were roomies. Such fun!





Karen and Bob her delightful husband came to Eureka, explored some of the redwood coast, Ferndale and she fit in a trunk show and book signing for us. We still have a few copies of her 4 books. Bundles of Fun, Fat Quarter Fun, Big Print Quilts and Quilts From My Garden and all of them are autographed . Here's Carolyn getting her book signed. Ok, back to today.............Redwood Sewing Center celebrated Small Business Saturday with the first of our three Make & Take Saturdays before Christmas. They are great. You sign up, pay your $10 and come to the store. You don't have to bring anything. Really. Nothing. And you leave with a really cool gift you can give...or keep! It's up to you. Today the gals made Little Wallets with a Valori Wells pattern. Just perfect to give a gift card.Then they made a cute tote bag, Christmas Tree Napkins and Chicken Pincushions.
Here's Terri ironing her tote bag handles.Here's Liz explaining the next step.Over the next two Saturdays some of these projects will be repeated and new ones are on the calendar. One gal said, "So I just bring my machine and I can make this." No, you don't have to bring your machine. "So how much fabric do I bring for clutch bag?" No, you don't have to bring fabric. "So I bring my pins and my scissors and rotary cutter." No, you don't have to bring a thing! There is still room in most of the classes, but call Redwood Sewing Center to register. Just $10 per class.




A few weeks ago I had two eager students in a sewing class. My Daughter Beka had a birthday on Nov. 18 and Jakob and Mercedes asked if I would teach them to use the sewing machine. We made hot pads for Mama's birthday. They chose the fabrics and Grammy cut them out and some padding. They layered and ironed the squares and pinned them. They sat on my lap and guided their fabrics through the machine. Each was quite particular and careful about sewing. They turned their pot holders right side out and then we top stitched and quilted the squares. Then they posed with their holders.Jakob stitched a spiderweb design on his.Sades tried the abstract approach.Here they are showing the opposite sides of their pads. We wrapped them in paper with bows and they made cards for Mama's Birthday. I have it on good authority that Beka used them on Thanksgiving!




Lots of "making" going on! What are YOU making this holiday season?


No comments: