Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving at the Scotts

If you are an American, chances are that yesterday you gathered with friends and family for a turkey dinner. In between chopping celery and apples for the bread dressing (stuffing) and peeling sweet potatoes I SKYPED our daughter Beka's household. Jason's mom, Nana, was there as well as the Krause family I love so much. I got a kick out of their sons who yelled to my grandson Jakob..."Grammy's on the TV! Come quick, Grammy's on TV." When Elijah figured out I was in California (a long stretch from Minnesota) I had to turn the camera to the front yard so he could see some redwood trees just outside my window. The morning had dawned absolutely beautiful. I had made a Pumpkin Pie Cake the night before (recipe below). I also made some delightful little pumpkin favors a friend had posted the day before on FaceBook. Jellied Orange sliced candies, a little twig, some ribbon and plastic wrap.The turkey went into the oven as we went to the movie theatre, met Liz, Steve & Sydney and watched the new Muppet Movie. Cute and enough to keep adults interested too. Lots of humor that went right over the kids' heads and the adults thought was hilarious. Sydney wanted to sit by me and about halfway through the film she leaned over and said, "Gamma, I want to say Grace tonight." Of course she could! She had told me she wanted to make the rolls. And she did!Our table abounded with good things to eat.I tried out something new I'd heard about this year on the Internet. Take 1 Cup mayonnaise (I used Kraft Olive Oil Mayonnaise) and mix in 1/4 assorted minced herbs. (I used rosemary from the garden, black pepper, tarragon, flat leaf parsley and savory). Loosen the skin from the breast of the turkey and slather 2/3 cup of the mixture under the skin. Then slather the rest all over the outside of the turkey. I used a cooking bag to cook the turkey. The bird was beautiful and I've never, ever, gotten so many compliments on a turkey before. How moist it was, how wonderful the meat tasted! I guess I'll try it again. Sydney thanked the Lord for her family and all the good things He gives us.Then Mr. Scottie Dog carved the bird. Yum, yum.
One last shot....hasn't every kid done this with olives!!!!!!!

Thanksgiving is a time we set aside to thank our God and Creator for our many blessings. I have so many....my wonderful husband, two beautiful daughters and the amazing son-in-laws they brought me, my adorable grandchildren (all 5 of them!), my brothers and their wives and children...we share so many wonderful memories of phenomenal parents and childhoods, a warm and snugly home in the redwoods (such a beautiful place to live). I'm grateful for good friends, new and old, and for our two kitties. I have a job I love, a passion for creativity, good health and so much more.

I thank the Lord for YOU!


Recipe for Pumpkin Pie Cake

Take 1 Large can of pumpkin and prepare just as you would for 2 pies (recipe is on label). Pour into sprayed 9" X 13" pan.
Sprinkle 1 yellow or white cake mix evenly over the pumpkin mixture.
Drizzle top with 2/3 cup melted butter, making sure to include corners.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or when knife inserted in center comes clean.
Enjoy hot or cold, with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream

3 comments:

BevH said...

And I am thankful for YOU!

Anonymous said...

I have and still use that pumpkin pie cake recipe you wrote in my wedding recipe book over thirty years ago! Love you and that cake!
Anne

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! i have been hunting for a dessert to help with the hankerin' for pie. i can hardly wait to make this one. -First i'm planting my patient tulip bulbs in the cold ground so they can be beautiful in the spring :)
Have a wonderful Christmas!
Marise