Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Splendid Sampler


 Back in January my good friend Pat Sloan announced she was sponsoring a sew-along with her friend Jane Davidson from Australia.  They had gathered over 80 quilt designers from around the world to provide a total of 100 six inch block patterns to be called The Splendid Sampler.  The first block pattern (two each week) would appear on Valentine's Day.
This sounded like fun so I joined a FaceBook group that now numbers nearly 18,000! I've had so much fun making these blocks.  I am making them in shades of black, gray, cream/whites with a touch of accent color....I call it Baby Poop.....it's a form of mustard.  Here are a few of my blocks. 
 



I will probably put all of these together with a thin black sashing between the blocks.  I'm really pleased.  As a quilter one of the challenges of this project (and one of the joys!) is that we'll be using lots of different techniques.  Piecing, hand applique, hand embroidery or maybe doing the hand techniques with the sewing machine.  I'm taking one block at a time.  Just like my life.  One day at a time.




    

No comments: