Sunday, July 6, 2008

"Clamping" with the Queen

For the 4th of July weekend we went "clamping" (that's Sydney-speak for camping) with a bunch of family and friends to Grizzly Creek State Park. The site is so beautiful with ancient redwoods, ferns and, of course, the small Grizzly Creek. We ate all the typical camping foods: Watermelon, S'mores (Liz introduced us to "S'mores Grande"), berry cobbler, bar-b-qued chicken, Kabobs and so much more! I think Camping is just a great excuse to eat fabulous food with no guilt.

We didn't have fireworks in the Redwoods but there was a parade of cute children, friends and a grandpa (Mr. Scottie Dog of course!) all waving flags and singing "You're a Grand Ole Flag." I was part of the applauding audience. I spent much of my time reading and just relaxing. I read Rosamunde Pilcher's "Winter Solstice." I like her books having read "The Shell Seekers" years ago. I also earned the title of "Sleepy Head" as having slept through breakfast two days in a row. I made sure that this morning I was up for Liz's French Toast. We stayed up late playing cards after the kids went to bed. Liz is here modeling her new Amy Butler Hat.
On Saturday, July 5 several of us had a date at Crystal's house just a few miles away. I belong to a loosely united group called "The Finishers Club." Each month we gather to eat, chat, laugh and crown one of our members QUEEN. You know, the Queen of Quilting, Stitching Diva, Patchwork Princess, the Duchess of Applique, the Sovereign of Sewing.... QUEEN of Finishers. The idea was to help us FINISH our UFO's. I've never been in the running before, but because of the sample sewing I did for Runs With Scissors in June I was the sleeper candidate....I finished 10 (TEN!) projects. So....when you see me this month you may bow and say, "Hail, Queen BrendaLou....Hail you, oh thou of Finishers most excellent." Please do, as I'll probably never win again! Crystal & daughter Samantha were excellent hostesses (I confess, the campers were so rude as to bring all the kids & hubbies too!) and we had a wonderful time.
The rest of our camping trip was wonderful.....we all have trailers or tent trailers so we weren't really roughing it. Sydney had fun in the water, fun in the dirt, fun riding her bicycle, fun, fun, fun. Grandma did too!
Tomorrow (Monday) it's back to school and work. I've passed my first test with flying colors. I got 100% on my spelling test. Big surprise to those who know me well.

2 comments:

jen duncan said...

Sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing the pics and all. I really like it down there at Grizzly, too. I BOW TO YOU for your reign as the Queen, however short it may be! ;-)

Beka and Jason Haché said...

Happy Fourth! Wish I could have been there!

love you!
-beka