Friday, July 25, 2008

Thursday Night at the Movies

Every Thursday night I meet with a small bunch of ladies....quilting friends. We call ourselves The Grateful Threads, GT's, ThreadHeads, friends. During the school year we meet at Scottie Dog Quilts because a Hand Piecing class meets there. We do our thing (chat, eat, chat some more, laugh, solve the world's problems, chat, eat some more and sometimes we even quilt!) while the hand piecers meet in the classroom. Summers we move around some. Last night we went to see Mamma Mia. We had extended the invitation to lots of other quilting women and filled up a couple of rows.
I'm no movie critic, I like what I like and don't like what I don't like. But here's my review:

The cast is wonderful, Pierce Brosnan can't sing, but after the first line or two it doesn't matter. Meryl Streep CAN sing...surprisingly so. The photography is beautiful....so very.....blue. Greek Island....lots and lots of water and sky equal...blue. The story is based around a bunch of ABBA songs. Not much takes place that's not a song and/or a dance. Of course it's a romantic farce. I suppose it's not REALLY a great movie. But I had so much fun. Not only were my toes tapping, but I can't seem to get the music, the energy out of my head. Meryl Streep throughout most of the movie looks to have minimal make-up on. Quite refreshing that she wasn't made up to look as if she were 35!

BrendaLou gives Mamma Mia a thumbs-up!

1 comment:

Carol E. said...

I've been wondering if I should go. Now I know... the best way is to take along two+ rows of women. ANY movie would seem good in that company.