Thursday, November 6, 2008

Chicken Taco Soup

Tuesday is a long day for me. Actually it begins on Mondays. I work at home on Mondays until 1 pm when I go into the store. I teach a class Monday nights and get home about 9:30-9:45 pm. Then I hit the computer for an hour or so. Tuesdays I teach a class in the mornings so I start the day running and sometimes have an evening class as well.

This past Tuesday was one of those long, long days. I had planned ahead. I made a pot of Chicken Taco soup. I got the recipe from a friend in Texas. It is sooo good and really easy. When I got to the store I chopped my onion and cut 2 chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks. I opened a few cans, dumped everything in and voila! by 2 pm lunch was ready. I rarely get to eat lunch before 2 pm so it was fine. Funny thing....the crock pot was plugged into one of the classroom outlets. You couldn't smell the soup in the classroom, but when I went to the restroom and came out onto the sales floor, UMMM UMMM, boy that soup smelled delicious! Walked back into the classroom....no delightful aroma met my smeller. I ate more for dinner and it was even better!
Before the class left at 1 pm everyone wanted the recipe. Well, I don't actually use Sandy's recipe anymore (I never wrote it down!) but I make it according to what I can find in the cupboard. Here's the recipe I used on Tuesday.....vary it accordingly.

Tuesday's Chicken Taco Soup

2 Chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 Can Corn, drained
1 Can Pinto Beans
1 Can Pinto Beans w/chilies
1 Large Can tomatoes
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 tsp pepper
1 Clove garlic, minced
1 Can fat free Chicken Stock
3-4 Tablespoons Salsa

Dump all into large Crock Pot and cook on high 4 hours, then low up to 4 hours. If soup is thinner than you want, just leave the lid off for 1/2 hour or so.

Place 5-6 tortilla chips in bowl, ladle soup over top. Top with 1 large spoonful of Sour Cream and shredded cheese.

Variations: I've used kidney beans, black beans, etc. You may add a small can of chilies if you want it hotter. Sandy's recipe used a can of black olives, drained, but I thought it made the olives tough. You could add those just before serving, I suppose.

No comments: