Sunday, March 1, 2009

Beka's Block of the Month

block-of-the-month.jpg

My family’s Quilt Shop (Scottie Dog Quilts) in California has done all kinds of “Block of the Month” programs over the years and I (Beka) have finally just begun my first! They started a new one in January called, “Where the Redwoods meet the Sea”, a Humboldt County Quilt.”

I couldn’t resist this one - it’s my home!!! Minnesota has definitely become my home, but Northern California will always be a “home” to me. This quilt has a redwood tree- I miss them so much! There is the ocean - The Pacific Ocean will always be my favorite, but it’s the best anyway! The quilt also has the beach, and a lighthouse - it’s soo nostalgic for me!

Block of the Month just means you get a new pattern each month, giving you another piece of the puzzle. At the end of the year- It’s done! And it’s a lot of fun to see your project unfold - all in little bite-size pieces!

3-month-1.jpg2month-1.jpg1month-1.jpg

January’s block was a log cabin pattern - three of them make up the dirt, the mountain under the redwood tree.

month-2.jpgFebruary is one star type pattern that makes up the base of the sandy beach.

month-3.jpgI received March’s pattern a few days early (one of the many benefits of being a part of “the family business”) and already completed my block - more of the sandy beach.

This is a “scrappy quilt” - another first for me. There aren’t a few coordinating fabrics that make it up, it’s all kinds of fabric - the more the merrier! When it’s all put together it should look great.

I can’t wait for the months to come, I want to finish my quilt! I am planing on hanging this one by the front door, in our entry way. It’s the perfect piece of art that brings a little piece of my first home to my Minnesota home!

Read more about my family here: www.TheHacheHomepage.com

fabric.jpg

No comments: